How to Get Wax Off Skin
Waxing is a process of semi-permanent hair removal in which heated wax is used to remove unwanted facial and body hair. Professional salons often offer waxing services, or you can do it at home.
It’s common to get wax hair removal on the:
- upper lip
- bikini line
Once the hair removal is finished, there are often areas of skin still covered in wax residue. There are a number of ways to safely remove the wax residue using products that you likely have at home.
How do you remove wax from skin?
There are a number of ways to remove wax from skin. Before trying any of the following methods, wash the area with warm water and then moisturize with a water-based lotion.
Hot water compress
- After soaking a clean washcloth in hot water, place it on the wax residue and let it sit for about 60 seconds to soften the wax.
- Use the washcloth to remove the wax from the skin.
- Dip a cotton pad in mineral oil, massage oil, or olive oil. Warmer oil works better than cold oil.
- Hold the soaked pad on the wax residue until it’s saturated — about two minutes.
- Wipe off the wax residue with a clean cotton pad.
- Apply a generous layer of petroleum jelly to the area with wax residue.
- After five minutes, wipe the area with a clean cotton pad. This should take off the wax, along with the petroleum jelly.
- Dip a cotton pad in alcohol.
- Using a circular motion, rub the wax residue until it dissolves or peels off.
- Apply a moisturizing lotion on the area to reduce possible skin irritation.
Hold an ice cube on the leftover wax for 30 seconds.
Flake the brittle wax off your skin. If you have to scrape or peel, you can damage your skin. So if the wax doesn’t flake off, try a different removal method.
If waxing is your method of choice for hair removal, there is a chance that, following the hair removal process, there will be some patches of leftover wax that you want to get off your skin. There are a variety of safe and easy ways to remove wax from skin, so be patient when trying to find the one that works best for your skin type.